Best Operating Systems for OSINT
Check out this excellent round-up of portable OSes for forensics and pentesting. OSes in this list include:
- Has a Forensics Mode which doesn't mount the hard drives when booting up
- Optionally route all traffic through Tor
- Parrot Security
- Supposedly has a built-in USB persistence option (untested)
Also see this nice list of lightweight portable Live Linux USB bootable OSes.
- Slax (live boot + usb persistence)
- Buscador OS (defunct since 2019)
- Since Buscador OS is no longer available, it's best to use a plain Linux / Kali VM and install the OSINT tools formerly found in Buscador + new tools which have hit the scene since Buscador was halted
DIY OSINT OS
For a Do-It-Yourself Open Source Intelligence Operating System, do something like this "DIY Buscador" guide by Nixintel.